Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No, I haven't forgotten about you blog...

Hi everyone!

So, its been quite sometime since my last post. I'm currently on my favorite place on earth MARTHA'S VINEYARD and the summer is flying by. I did surprisingly well on my finals, and I'm already psyched for next year at SMC! I'm working and living on the vineyard this summer at The Boathouse, a private resort/club, teaching swimming lessons and being a camp counselor. I took the ferry out last night and had my first day of work today! The club is absolutely beautiful with three pools, tennis courts, restaurant, spa, and its brand new this year. My job doesn't officially start until the 19th but today we did some cleaning and preparing for the opening. I'm working with a lot of college kids, my age, from Ireland who are all really nice and funny. Which reminds me on another important piece of news:

I've been accepted to go abroad to Galway, Ireland next Spring :). Now, the whole going abroad thing has been an issue for me for a while. I really wanted to go but I was very apprehensive about leaving my friends, family, and missing a whole semester of my beloved SMC. But after talking with a bunch of family and friends, I decided that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and that I should definitely take advantage of it. So if all goes as planned, I'll be attending my spring semester at National University of Ireland, Galway. And hopefully, I'll learn all the ins and outs from my Irish friends this summer. (And as an added plus, they know how to pronounce my name right on the first try! Perfect!)

I'm still getting everything settled out here on the vineyard but I did spend the last 3 weeks or so since schools been out babysitting, spending time at home and hanging out with my friends. Last weekend, I went to the Dave Matthews Band concert in Hartford, CT and met up with some of my SMC friends and it was a blast. I love their new cd, Big Whiskey and The GrooGrux King. If you haven't heard it already, you really should :). It was a great show and it was so nice to see my friends from school.

I already miss Saint Mike's a bunch and I can't say how excited I am for August 31st when I pull into 1 winooski park to begin my junior year. But some news today put a little damper on my excitement...
My assistant coach, "blogger boss", and good friend Drew Millikin told us of his resignation from Assistant Director of Admissions position at SMC for a position at a very reputable school in Groton, MA. Drew has done amazing things for not only for the swim team, campus bloggers, and the admissions office but has had a lifelong impact on the school community as a whole. Drew has given countless hours of his time to not just coach my teammates and I, but to be there as a friend,and a person many of us aspire to be. His hard work and dedication with the campus blogs, social networking, and of course Facebook has helped thousands of students see the very best this college has to offer. He has been a personal mentor for countless students, friends, and faculty of SMC and is a person who I believe defines everything that this college is about. His friendliness, intelligence, commitment and dedication is something that will be truly missed even if he does wear sweater vests everyday...:) I wish him the absolute best in everything and we will miss him very much.

So on that note, I will try to update very soon. I'm sure there will be many more summer adventures to write about but until then enjoy the sunshine and talk to you soon!!

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Wow Mairead! Spending Summer on the vineyard and spending the Spring in Ireland...what could be more fun!!

Enjoy!

Love,
Marianne :)