Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday Things...

Hi again everyone!

I hope everyone is enjoying their week. Things are back to normal here on campus and everyone has gotten into the swing of classes and things after break. We've had some pretty cold weather up here but as students in Vermont, we're pretty used to it so we bundle up and do the best we can to survive it! I on the other hand seemed to have contracted a sinus infection so I decided to head home last weekend to get some rest and get better. We didn't have a meet last weekend so it seemed like a pretty good weekend to take a break. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE weekends at St.Mike's but once in awhile, heading home to rest and eat some home food sounds lovely. And indeed it was. Even though I live in Cape Cod, MA there's plenty of ways to get home from if you need some time away. Usually, there's at least someone going home around the same time and area that you can catch a ride with, and as always, there's the bus which isn't too bad and not that expensive. So I had a lovely weekend sleeping and reading Twilight (yes, I'm one of those). It's strangely interesting, and a ton of my friends are into it too! I'm waiting to finish the first book so I can see the movie when it comes out on DVD. It's quite addicting, I highly recommend it. :)

In other news, 3 more weeks of swimming left!!! (I'm not THAT excited or anything, okay well maybe I am.) The season is flying by and before you know it we'll be at champs and done with swimming until next October! Last night I had Irish step dancing. My calves slash every bone slash muscle below my hips are killing me. But it's totally worth it. I had a ton of fun and it went surprisingly better than the first practice. Irish dancing I found is a lot like riding a bike. I haven't competed since 8th grade but you never really lose or forget how to do it. It might take you a few classes to get back into shape, but once the initial shock of "wow, I can't remember the last time I used these muscles" passes, everything else seems to come. And thank God for that. There are about ten or twelve other kids in the class. And yes, I mean kids, or teenagers, and they are all SO good and really help me out. The Celtic Knights along with a ton of other Irish performers are preparing for a show sometime in March for the Celtic Festival here in Burlington. I was in a few shows last year around St. Patrick's Day and it was so much fun. I love performing :)

But in any event, I'm looking forward to the weekend. Our last home meet, and senior meet is on Saturday against Norwich and Assumption and then on Sunday I'll be heading to Smuggs to do some skiing. Wish me luck, hopefully my friends won't be too frustrated with me. Let's just say I'm not the "quickest" one on the slopes. As always, I love to hear that people are reading and if anyone has any questions at all please let me know! I think most of the upcoming freshmen should be hearing or already heard if they've been accepted or not so good luck and I look forward to hearing from you!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mairead! I really enjoy reading your blog! It's really interesting to hear your perspective on life at St. Michael's :). I look forward to reading more! Good luck with swimming and everything else!

heyyy45 said...

Hey Mairead!:)
I just recently started following your blog (and really enjoy reading it),but I've wanted to go to school at St. Michael's since I can remember. My family skis at Smuggs all the time and I love Burlington and Vermont in general. Anyway I was wondering if you could post a little bit about your journalism minor.. I'm planning on majoring in journalism if I attend St.Michael's and i thought you'd be perfect person to provide some insight. Thanks in advance! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mairead, I too have enjoyed reading your blog (along with my daughter). She was accepted at SMC, ED1, and is very excited. You and my daughter have lots in common, swimming and irish dance. She hasn't competed since grammar school, but loves the idea of having fun and getting back into it if she attends. Also, she LOVED Coach Donoghue, she was able to meet him and he had a strong impact on her. He was one of many reasons she loves St. Mikes. Hopefully Fin. Aide will work out and she'll see you next year. Keep up those great posts and good luck with swimming, dancing and of course your studies - Mom Tisdale

Anonymous said...

Opps... meant to say EA1....Mom T.

Cathy Watt said...

Hi Mairead! I can't wait to see you on Saturday at the last home week! Hard to believe it's the last home meet. Will bring you and Catie some treats from home! I'm glad you're getting comments on your blog from people other than Auntie Corliss!!! See you Saturday. Love, Cathy (Catie's mom)