Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Snowy Tuesday

So... as you can see I did in fact survive the 1650 on Saturday. And to be honest it wasn't that bad at all! We lost to Skidmore College, but the boys team won and I discovered the area of Saratoga, New York is really pretty.

In other news, today it snowed all day! Welcome to Vermont! It actually stuck on the ground too so the campus looks beautiful all snow covered and such.

This week is Homelessness and Hunger week. MOVE, the volunteer group here on campus, has a bunch of awesome activities to raise awareness about hunger around the world and right here in Vermont. On the library lawn, there's a small hut set up where students can sign up to spend an hour, or even overnight, to experience first hand what it feels like to have to sleep outside. My friends and I are staying for an hour on friday afternoon. I think its such a cool idea and it will really open up our eyes about the shelter that we take for granted. MOVE is such an awesome thing to get involved in. In alliot, our student center, there's a big decorated board on the right where they have different volunteer opportunities and activities. It's really informal and everyone and anyone can sign up. They have really fun and interesting things like attending a Senior Citizen Prom, running different road races, or different activites such as After School Games or Dream that help out with younger kids around the area. Next post, I'll definatley write about how shoving four girls in a small wooden hut for an hour outside will go...wish me luck.

Tomorrow, the swim team will have a meet at Norwich which isn't so far away. We only have classes Monday and Tuesday of next week then I'll be heading home for the Thanksgiving break :). It's amazing how fast this year is going by. Just today I realized how close the semester was to being over, and how Thanksgiving and Christmas are fast approaching.

So that's all for now! I've noticed there have a been a ton of great questions on the SMC Bloggers facebook group! Let me know if there's anything I can help you with!

(Also, quick shoutout to Bob and Cathy Watt, my roommates parents who seem to be the only ones who read this! love you guys!)

2 comments:

Cathy Watt said...

Love you too, Mairead! Good luck today at the Norwich meet!

Anonymous said...

Mairead: Catie's Aunt Corliss is reading too! I told Catie when I saw her this week-end at Skidmore that I thought your blog was very well written. And, I agree with you about Saratoga Springs - it's a place Catie's Uncle John and I will return to - but in the summer or fall - when we can walk around. Keep up the good blog work - I'll be reading!