Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What is your favorite thing about SMC and why?

My favorite thing about SMC would have to be the opportunities I've had to get involved in so many different activties and pursue so many of my interests. Academically, I've been able start as a Biology major, switch to English major and then add my Journalism minor. I've been able to take literature classes, marketing classes, science classes and art classes all in the same semester. Socially, I can be part of an atheltic team, involved in Student Government, and volunteer all at the same time! You don't have to limit yourself to one major, one activity or one specific role at St. Mike's you can do anything and everything that interests you :)

Why did you choose to go into journalism and what has been your experience with that major at SMC?

I'm actually a Journalism and Mass Communication minor but I spend a lot of time with the Journalism department! The Journalism and Mass Communications department at St. Mike's is an amazing program with a lot of different options and opportunity to develop your own interests. I chose journalism because I love to write but I also wanted to pursue different areas of journalism like feature writing, public relations, and creative design. Journalism is changing within our society and the program also allows you to not just pursue writing and newspaper skills but also new media skills. As a Journalism major you will write and manage our school's print publication The Defender, but also learn to create a website, use Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, create digital film and so much more. You can also take amazing classes like Photjournalism, New Media, Nature Writing, and Global Communication. Although it's a lot of hard work, I know I'll be prepared in so many different areas when I graduate! :)

Ask me anything!

No comments: