Thursday, January 21, 2010

Having the craic...(aka fun)

Hi everyone!

So I've been here in Galway for a little over two weeks now. I'm slowly learning all about what real Irish culture is like. Things are a little more wishy-washy, time isn't necessarily important, and things can sometimes seem really disorganized. Coming from a very disorganized and sometimes untimely girl, I'm totally okay with this and I seem to fit right in. :)
The past week my good friend here from Emmanuel College in Boston came down with a bad infection. Last Saturday, she actually had to be admitted to the University hospital and just came home yesterday. She's doing much better now and a bunch of us came to the hospital to visit her. Our resident directors, Finn, Maeve and Kevin, were so helpful and were there for her whenever she needed it. It wasn't easy for her getting so sick while abroad and I was feeling so bad for her. :( Luckily our program directors sorted everything out and I'm so happy that she's feeling and looking so much better!


In other news, I do now know my way around the hospital very well, just in case and I've gotten my routine of classes down as well. Last week, I went on adventures in Galway to see Galway Bay and take some pictures! (Spotted: a sunken boat) It was so pretty out and the houses looked seriously just like a movie! We got caught in a token Irish rainstorm at the end but it was still so pretty!
This Saturday, we're going to visit Co. Clare which is one of the most beautiful and picturesque places in Ireland. I'm so excited to see some of the countryside and see whats beyond our little city. Last weekend a bunch of kids in our program went to the Cliffs of Moher and they said it was beautiful. A few friends and I stayed behind to help out with our friend but I will be traveling there very soon!

(another picture of the Bay!)

I've also been planning out some places to travel and different cultural things to do. I'm going to London with a few friends the first weekend in February and I'm SO EXCITED!!! I also can't wait for Paris in late February with our program!! Also, SO EXCITED!


I'm adjusting to living here and getting used to all of the cultural differences slowly but surely. I've found my fave junk food place is Supermac's (can't go there too often) and that the chocolate here is way better than in the states! I love Cadbury buttons and flakes and I'm hoping to sneak a lifetime supply home with me in May. I do miss St. Mike's and my friends back at school but it's nice to be in a different environment and I love meeting so many new people. I miss Tostito's chips and queso real bad. I'm hoping to have some sent to me real soon....hint hint.

Yesterday was Societies Day at NUIG and I've never seen anything more fun, seriously. There was a huge room with music and tables of all the different societies. They had groups for legit EVERYTHING. I joined International Society which had a get together at a pub downtown last night where I met so many more people!! I also joined Photography Society, and of course Food and Drink Society. Because, honestly, we all know how much I love free meals and wine tasting!! :) I'm also so excited for Photography society because they sponsor trips and traveling for really cheap!!

I hope that everyone in Vermont is staying warm, I'm starting to get used to the very regular rainstorms I've been encountering on my walks home!! I'll keep everyone updated and I love hearing from everyone on my blog!! Talk to you soon!

1 comment:

Brian said...

that picture of the bay would make jerry proud.